Saturday, June 21, 2014

IIT Delhi (M.Tech CS, MS Research CS)

For me being from Delhi, IIT Delhi was the dream institute for me. IIT Delhi is one of the best IITs. In a recent newspaper article, it is also rated as best Indian Institute in QS BRICS 2014 University Rankings.

Selection Criterion
IIT Delhi shortlisted students based on GATE score and shortlisted candidates were called for written and interview rounds conducted at the institute. The cut off GATE score for M.Tech and MS-R CS was 800 which was around rank 245 according to my guess as my rank/score were 241/802 and one of my friend's were 247/798. I considered myself very lucky to be just above the cut off score. In the selection process, both GATE score as well as the interview performance are given weightage.

Category
Minimum GATE norm score
CS/IT GATE only
Minimum aggregate percentage or CGPA in qualifying degree
Full time with Assistantship
General
800
60% or 6.75/10
OBC
720
60% or 6.75/10
SC/ST/PH
550
55% or 6.25/10
Part-time/ Industry Sponsored
General

75% or 8.5/10
OBC

74% or 8.3/10
SC/ST/PH

70% or 7.5/10
  
The written and interview rounds, both were to be conducted on the same days. IIT Delhi CS Dept, unlike other IITs gave a number of days to choose from for written and interview rounds. We had to choose one date from 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th and 19th May for the interview. I chose 15th May as I returned from Madras on 14th and had to leave for Kharagpur on 16th May. We needed to appear  only once for written, interview rounds even if we had applied for both MS-R and M.Tech program in CS dept.

About Course
I applied for both M.Tech and MS program at IIT Delhi CS department. M.Tech is for 2 years and MS in Research varied from 2 to 3 years depending on when your thesis is complete.

Travel and Stay
As I am from Delhi itself, I did not needed to stay at hostel. But for those who were from outside Delhi, IIT Delhi had made arrangements for them at the hostels.

The Institute
IIT Delhi has a very nice and green campus. The nearest metro station to the institute is Hauz Khas Metro Station. The institute has many hostels. Hostels were spacious and looked well maintained.

Written Round
The first round in the selection process was written exam. This was a subjective paper containing 4 questions. This was not an elimination round and all the candidates were interviewed irrespective of their performance in written round.

The written round was easy and we were given enough time around 1 hour to attempt it. It had 4 questions. The first question was a probability question in which we had a number of balls and bins, we had to find some probability when all balls were identical and when they were distinct, I don't remember the question exactly but it was on the same lines. 

Second question was a question of mathematical reasoning in which we were given 4 statements in mathematical notations and we had to write their meaning in English.

The Third question was a code question in which we had to write C language code to calculate the sum of weights of all the leaf nodes. The tree here did not have to be necessarily binary tree. It could have any number of nodes. We also had to give the structure of the tree.

The fourth question was a question of permutation and combination in which we had to find the maximum number and minimum number of connected components that can be there in a graph using n nodes and m vertices. I attempted all the 4 questions and I think correctly.

The Interview
The next round was an interview round. Interview round started about 1 hour after the written round. My chance came after lunch. There were 2 people taking my interview. One person was evaluating my written paper and asked me questions from the paper and my approach while solving the questions, while the other person had my application form which had details about my B.Tech percentage etc.

The interview started with general questions like what place I am from, he asked me the meaning of percentile, about my B.Tech college, GATE score, asked me that was my score good etc. Then he came to the subjects. 

The interviewer asked me questions mainly from data structures and algorithms. I asked some of my friends who had interview with other panel and one who had interview on another day, they also were asked algorithm and data structures questions. 

The first question he asked me about an array and sorting its first k elements. I wrote the pseudocode, then he asked me to improve the complexity of the code. Then the other interviewer started asking questions from the paper I had attempted.

He asked me how I solved the question, in the code he asked me the structure of the tree that I had made, how it was working. He asked me how I had done it, I found a mistake and corrected it. He also asked me some question about time complexity of my code. Then the first interviewer asked me how to delete an element from linked list, time complexity to delete an element, insert and search an element in a circular, doubly linked list.  

Over all the interview went fine. I hoped that I get selected for admission.

Admission Result
The result of the interview was released on the department website about 3-4 weeks after the interview. Only 2 candidates were selected for MS programme and no one was wait-listed for this. 23 candidates were selected in the M.Tech programme, 33 were wait-listed for the same.I was wait-list number 14 and at the time of writing the blog hoping that it clears.

Interview call letter

No comments:

Post a Comment